We are a group of health professionals specialize in otolaryngology and audiology. Otolaryngology is the medical specialty that focuses on the study of diseases of the ear, nose, paranasal sinuses, pharynx and larynx (mouth and throat).
Audiology is a branch of clinical sciences that primarily focuses on diagnosing and preventing hearing problems in humans. Additionally, it focuses on the healing of hearing disabilities by using hearing aids. Recently, audiology has also been applied in other areas related to hearing, for instance in the study of vertigo treatment.
Medical consultation in:
- Hospital Cima. Costa Rica, San José, Escazú. Frente Autop. Próspero Fernández.
- Clinica Bíblica Sana Ana. Costa Rica, Pozos, San José, Santa Ana.
- Policlinico Quirurgico Herediano. Costa Rica, Heredia, Av 14.
Dr. Rebeca Campos did her studies in Medicine and Surgery at the Universidad Autónoma de Centroamérica, Escuela Autónoma de Ciencias Médicas de Centro América “Dr Andrés Vesalio Guzmán Calleja”, where she graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine degree in 2001.
After graduating she worked as a general practitioner for a few months to continue training and fulfilling her dream of becoming a specialist.
In February 2003 she moved to Mexico City after she was accepted as one of the only two foreign doctors in Mexico to study otolaryngology, where she studied for four years. In March 2017 she obtained her university degree in Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery and certified herself as Specialist to be able to practice in this field in the Republic of Mexico, obtaining the third place at national level during the examination of the Mexican Board of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery.
Once graduated as an otorhinolaryngologist, she decided to specialize in what she is most passionate about, “Rhinoplasty”, being trained by Dr. Fausto López Infante, who was a pioneer of functional and aesthetic rhinoplasty in Latin America and master of numerous otolaryngologists.
After finalizing her studies, Dra. Campos decided to go back to Costa Rica to start her practice. Together with her father they became Otorrinos Drs. Campos.
Ever since she started studying medicine, Dr. Rebeca Campos has understood the importance of professional development and constantly training by following international courses and attending international conferences to help bring the latest trends and advances in science to the Costa Rica.
Continuous Medical Education and Professional Development
- 18th International Seminar of the Mexican Society of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. February 2007
- Theoretical Practical Seminar “Hands on” Rinosinusology. June 2007
- Active concepts in the diagnostics and treatment of nasosinusal pathology and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. March 2007
- American Academy Of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Foundation, Inc. September 2008
- First Seminar and International Meeting of Neurotology organized by ABC Neurological Center in Mexico City. Oct 2008
- Course in Laryngeal Pathology, Stroboscopy and New Diagnostic Technologies. April 2009
- Course on Vertigo. August 2009
- 13th Latin American Rhinology and Facial Surgery Conference. 28th Central American Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery Conference. November 2009
- Joint Meeting of the Latin American Association of Laryngology and Phonosurgery. December 2009
- 33rd Pan-American Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck surgery Conference. March 2010
- Second Intercontinental Rhinoplasty Conference. February 2012
- 62nd Conference of the National Mexican Association of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery. April 2012
- 34th Conference of the Mexican Federation of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery. October 2012
- Exhibitor at the 74th National Medical Conference. November 2012
- 4th Seminar – Advanced International Phonosurgery Workshop on the laryngeal specimen and transoral surgery with CO2 laser. Mexico, April 2013
- 26th Latin American Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery. USA, February 2014
- Basic Cardiac Support. Costa Rica, March 2014
- 64th Conference of the National Mexican Association of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery. May 2014
- 36th Conference of the Mexican Federation of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery. February 2015
· 15th Endoscopic Sinus Surgery Seminar “State of the art”. April 2015
· 8th Central American Multidisciplinary Symposium of Allergic and Skin Diseases. April 2015
· Masterclass in Clinical Practice Guidelines for Rhinitis, Rhinosinusitis, Urticaria, and Asthma. April 24, 2015
· 4th Advanced Endoscopic Skull Base Interdisciplinary Surgery ENT /Neurosurgery Team. November 2015
· 38th Latin American Seminar of Nasosinusal Endoscopic Surgery. November 2016
· Advances in functional and aesthetic surgery of the nose. Cali, Colombia. 2018
· International Seminar of Advanced and Structural Rhinoplasty. Morelia, Mexico, 2018
· Seminar in Sleep Medicine and Allergic Rhinitis. San José Costa Rica. Agosto 2018
Dr. José Alfonso Campos Chacón studied his Medicine and Surgery degree at the Universidad Católica in Córdoba, Argentina, and obtained his degree in 1982. He continued his studies specializing in Otolaryngology at the Hospital Italiano in Buenos Aires, Argentina. After graduating he returned back to Costa Rica and became a medical specialist in the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Costa Rica in 1988, the same year he began his practice experience in the public and private field. He worked in different public hospitals, such as the Tony Facio Hospital in Limón, the Monseñor Sanabria Hospital in Puntarenas, and in the San Vicente de Paúl Hospital in Heredia, and withdrew from the public sector in 2016.
In education, he served as Chair of Otolaryngology at the Universidad de Ciencias Medicas (UCIMED: University of Medical Sciences) and professor in the Otolaryngology department of the Universidad Interamericana de las Américas. He has been the medical director during the organization of different speciality seminars. Dr Camps Chacón has been attending professional development seminars continuously.
Continuous Medical Education and Professional Development
- Refresher Seminar on Otolaryngology. Universidad Del Salvador. Argentina. 07 July – 24 November 1983.
- Annual Meeting and Oto Expo of the American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Foundation, Inc. Washington D.C., USA. September 24-27, 2000.
- Technical and Practical Seminar “Hands on Rinosinusología” Including cadaveric dissection. Universidad de Ciencias Médicas. San José, Costa Rica. 28, 29 and 30 June 2007
- Seminar and Training on Endoscopic Nose and Sinus Surgery in Jacksonville, Florida. 2007
- 3rd Interhospital Session of the Costa Rican Association of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery. San Jose Costa Rica. October 2010.
- Seminar and Training of Laryngology and Phonosurgery at the Institute of Laryngology and Phonosurgery in Bogotá Colombia. 2011
- Latin American Laryngology and Phonosurgery Conference. 4th ALLF Conference – First SAF Conference. Buenos Aires, Argentina. 25 – 26 June 2011
- 3rd Interhospital Session Calderón Guardia Hospital. Costa Rican Association of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery. San Jose Costa Rica. October 2011
- First Interhospital Session of the National Children’s and San Juan de Dios Hospital. Costa Rican Association of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery. San Jose Costa Rica. March 2012.
- Full Member of the 33th Pan-American Association Conference of ENT and Head and Neck Surgery. Mar del Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina. November 28 – 30 and December 1, 2012.
- 2nd International Facial Plastic Surgery Seminar “Rhinoplasty with the Masters”. Cali, Colombia. 22 – 23 November 2013.
- Training Seminar in Endoscopic Nose and Sinus Surgery at Medtronic ENT Surgical Products. Jacksonville, Florida. 01 – 05 April 2014
- Practical and Theoretical Latin American VIP Seminar on Endoscopic Nasosinusal Surgery, January 31 and February 1, 2017 in Jacksonville, Florida. USES.
- Refresher Workshop on Nasosinusal Surgery “Dr. Roy Casiano”. Costa Rican Otolaryngology Association. San José, Costa Rica, 12 August 2017
- Symposium of Endoscopic Ear Surgery. Costa Rican Otolaryngology Association. San Jose Costa Rica. October 27 and 28, 2017.
- Training and Seminars in Rhinoplasty and Functional Nasal Aesthetic Surgery performed in Colombia, Mexico, and Argentina.
- Internships in Laryngology Phonosurgery in São Paulo, Brazil and Mexico.
- Participated in several Conferences of the American Academy of Otolaryngology in Washington DC, Florida, California, Illinois, and Texas.
- Participated during the Pan-American Otorhinolaryngology Conferences in Colombia, Guatemala, Panama, Mexico, Argentina, and Brazil.
- Participated during Central American Otorhinolaryngology Conferences held in Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, and Guatemala.
- Participated during the National Medical Conferences in Costa Rica
All of our patients who are taken to the operating room are anesthetized by duly accredited anesthesiologists who receive continuous medical professional development.
Our main anesthesiologist is Dr. Mario Ibañez. He graduated in medicine and surgery from the Universidad de Costa Rica in 1986; he subsequently studied anesthesiology and did his residency between 1991 and 1994 at the San Juan de Dios Hospital. He worked in this hospital as the attending physician until 2005 and he acquired experience in anesthesia for cardiac surgery and extracorporeal circulation.
Since his graduation as an anesthesiologist he has practiced private practice to date. He is a member of the American Anesthesia Society.
Other excellent anesthesiologists are also part of our team. We have Dr. Astrude Rene Zelin (who is also a pediatric anesthesiologist), Dr. Álvaro Brilla Ferrer (pediatric anesthesiologist as well), and Dr. Nelson Saint-Hilaire.
Ms. Vilma Ramírez Salas is our senior audiologist. Before becoming an audiologist, she studied different careers that are all related to each other. In 1970 she graduated as a teacher of Primary Education, in 1971 she specialized in Therapeutic Pedagogy, and in 1975 she graduated as a teacher in Deaf Education.
In 1978 she graduated with a Bachelor in Special Education Sciences with an emphasis in Communication Disorders from the University of Costa Rica and in 1981 she obtained a graduate degree in Phonoaudiology from the National Universidad de Córdoba in Argentina.
As if that were not enough, she decided to resume her studies and in 2018 she obtained a Bachelor’s degree in Audiology from the University of Santa Paula. At the moment, she is enrolled in the Master’s degree in Audiology at the same university.
- Ad-Honorem work with Children with Hearing Impairments, Madrid Spain, 1971.
- Teacher of the deaf, School for Deaf Children in Cartago, Costa Rica, 1972 – 1977.
- Ad-Honorem work with children with mental disabilities, Instituto de Enseñanza Especializada APADIM, Córdoba Argentina, 1980.
- Teacher of the deaf, Centro Nacional de Educación Especial Fernando Centeno Guell, Costa Rica, 1981.
- Private Consultation in Audio prosthesis and Speech and Language Therapy and other Professional Services, Costa Rica, from 1996 to present.
Before becoming an audiologist, Fabiola Campos Ramírez completed her Bachelor’s degree in Systems Engineering, which she obtained in 2011. She started her professional career as an engineer in 2006 at Hewlett Packard Costa Rica, but always felt a passion for audiology. That is why she decided to start a Bachelor’s degree in Audiology at the University of Santa Paula in 2011, where she graduated with honors in 2014. Once graduated, she began her professional career in a private clinic in clinical audiology and audio-prosthesis at AUDIFON S.A., where she is still working today.
Due to the expansion of audiology, Fabiola decided to gain more expertise, and this year (2018) she began her master’s degree in this field. At the same time, she is also engaged in training courses and internships in vestibular audiology and neurotology.
- 10th Comprehensive Training on Neuro-otology. Instituto de Neurociencias Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2017.
- Biologic Hearing Diagnostic Systems – Auditory Evoked Potential Course. Chicago, Illinois USA. 2017.
- 2nd International Seminar on Vestibular Audiology. San José, Costa Rica. 2017.
- 11th International Conference on audiology and 2018 Expo – workshops of auditory electrophysiology and bone auditory rehabilitation. Bogotá, Colombia. 2018.
- Otoneurological internship, diagnosis, treatment and vestibular rehabilitation.
Center of Vertigo and Dizziness. Mexico City, Mexico. May 2018.
- Advances course on Theoretical-practical objective audiology. Costa Rica.
Sofia Matus Ramírez is, at 27 years old, our youngest audiologist. She works in the Heredia office, and she is a native of this same province. She graduated with her Bachelor of Audiology from the University of Santa Paula in 2015. In October 2015 she started her career at AUDIFON (our sister company).
Recently, she began her graduate studies in Audiology. Sofia has a lot of experience in: performing audiological tests, managing audiological equipment, selling and adapting hearing aids, and audiological care to patients.